Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Taylor's final post "official post"

Well to be honest, I don't know what I was expecting going into this trip. I knew I was very excited to see what I think of as "real history." What I mean by that is history that happened before the 18th century. I wanted to soak up every moment as if it were never going to happen again because it probably won't. I feel like I really went into it with a sense of adventure and an open mind.
I think my favorite spot that I experienced while on this trip is most all of the cathedrals but the best one was the first one we visited, the York Minster. It just shocked me how large it was and how ornate the artwork was. I have literally never been so shocked by something in my life. It is an experience I will never forget.
The course and trip didn't really change my attitude on cathedrals at all but it did change my perception on English culture. I had it built up in my head that the people would be very proper and such but in all actuality, they are just like us, especially people of our age group. The sense of style is also very fun to look at as it seems everyone has their own.
I will certainly miss the group dymanic that we all formed over the course of the month. Very few of us knew each other and it was exciting to see how everyone seemed to some together and make friends with people that had rarely spoken to, if ever. We all had a fun time going out together at night and getting to know each other and I hope I continue to stay in contact with many new friends I made on this journey.
The one thing I am "going to take with me" is something that Dr.L tried to instill in us from day one and that is taking our time during meals and enjoy our food and the conversation. Apparantly, it is a very American thing to rush through meals and just eat for the sake of eating. In many other countries, including this one, meals are meant to be enjoyed with others and are a time for conversation and company.
I loved so many things here and I plan to take many experiences and memories with me for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment